INTRO TO MIXED MEDIA Cactus Series with Anna Swanson
Learn the basics of drawing, painting, and collage to create a colorful & floral cactus garden piece with artist Anna Swanson.
Materials for curbside pick-up, select pick up time here: https://calendly.com/kelleyc/material-kit-pick-up
For shipping materials, go here.
4-Week Live Online Course: (8 hours of instruction)
- August 29th - September 15th, every Saturday
- 11am - 1pm CT
Over this 4-week course we will:
- Experiment with pencil and paper to sketch your design
- Learn about different cactus plants and flowers you can draw/paint
- Focus on drawing, planning, and choosing a color palette
- Learn different brush use techniques and skills
- Mix paint colors
- And leave with a final project of painting a larger scale piece with acrylic paint.
- Four sessions of 2-hour instruction, demo, and practice
- Limited class size for hands-on instruction
- All materials you will need during class, including paints, brushes, paper, canvas, and more.
- Optional projects to work on at home to continue your practice in-between the times we meet
Who is this course suitable for?
Individuals who have little or no prior painting experience, or individuals who would like to relearn intro skills.
Discussion: Composition and balance, Types of cactus plants
Instruction: Intro to composition, balance, drawing, and sketching of cactus and flowers
Project: Sketch out the cactus design, flowers, and blooms on paper with
Discussion: Intro to design principles and how to determine your design
Instruction: Demonstration of drawing and sketching of cactus and flowers on canvas
Project: Draw out design on big canvas adding detail and background color.
Discussion: Color planning and mixing
Instruction: Create palettes on paper with paints
Project: Begin adding first layer of paint to the canvas
Discussion: Final tips and techniques, Details and layers
Instruction: Adding more layers, light and dark details, background color, and finishing details
Project: Guided instruction through final 20x20 painting on canvas
20x20” canvas for final project
About the Instructor:
Anna Swanson is an Austin based painter, elementary school art teacher, and mom. She received her BFA in fiber art & textiles and obtained her elementary art teacher certification. She is a stylist at heart, and loves teaching children's art in her art studio with her daughter, whom her business is named after. A small collection of her original pieces are at Austin Art Garage and Gallery, and prints of her work are on Minted.com and Greenbox Art and Culture.